Friday, May 25, 2012

Just like Starting Over...


First of all, I apologize for going MIA on you for the past couple of weeks. It has been an incredibly busy and stressful past few weeks. The good news is I’m moving! I am one step away from being on my own! I'm bubble wrapping my life and moving to Marina Del Rey! From here on out it’s all sunny skies (AKA “The Fun Stuff”). Which means I get to start getting my life back on track. Also? I get to discover lots of great new running routes and running clubs in the Marina. That’s easily the best part of this. The part of my life, which I am still adjusting to is that I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease. Figuring out what to eat and what not to eat has been quite a challenge. (More to come on that topic as well.)
I’m also looking forward to having a bit more time for me, which I plan to use to regain all of the healthy running habits I’ve lost over the past few months since I got sick. The double whammy of now being a Gluten Free runner, enforced inactivity followed by an incredibly busy past weeks mean I’m completely out of my running routine. It is now a chore to simply put on my shoes, I have to really be motivated to get outside and go for a run. Between not feeling well and getting back into the swing of things it takes a lot of energy for me to get moving.
I’m not going to lie: I’ve spent the past couple of days feeling kind of down about where I am with my running, health and fitness lately. In a lot of ways, it feels like I haven’t really made any progress over the past 8 months towards where I was before I started 13 Going on Crazy. The entire premise behind my challenge was to make myself more accountable. It feels like every time I look back, whether it’s a few weeks or a few months, all I can think is, “I thought I’d be further along by now.” I need to stop directing all of my negative energy on why I can't/don't run. Instead I need to start listing all the reasons why I love running. The sun on my face, the wind in my hair,  discovering new routes, to name a few.
And yes I just realized that is an incredibly unproductive way to look at life. All of this negative energy does is bring me down, rob me of my energy, and make me feel like it’s not even worth trying anymore. Besides it’s blatantly not true. No, I haven’t done as much training for my upcoming Memorial Day Laguna Beach Half Marathon as I would have liked, but I can make it through a 5-mile run without stomach pain. A year ago I was fine, or even 6 months ago. I need to remember and recognize that yes my original goal going into this was just to finish it, not to worry about my time, and understand that I am competing against me and only me. I’ve still got 5 races left and I know that I will be just fine. And besides who quits when the finish line is insight?

No, I may not be even remotely close where I was last September, which brings me back to the title of this post; it’s just like starting over. I will need to accept and be proud of my ‘new’ pace and be sure to interval run at all times. Most importantly I will need to really listen and respect my body. I’m slowly regaining my fitness and endurance, day by day. I now realize that regardless of how I am feeling I need to push myself even if it is just a walk around the block. Besides, if I keep consistent with my workouts, everything will fall into place and I will begin to be the runner that I once was. I already have the proper nutrition thanks to my amazing nutritionist, I don’t really have a choice in that department, but it honestly helps to have proper nutrition when training. For obvious reasons I know the better I eat the better I train. 
I’m eager to get out and hit the pavement again. Am I going to run a new personal record? Unlikely. Can I run a good, solid 13.1 miles to the best of my race-day ability? Absolutely! Who knows, I might even surprise myself a little with the results, if I put the work in.


I'm not too sure who is out there reading this, but I would love to hear from you. Please comment below and share with 13 Going on Crazy why you love to run and the hurdles that you have faced in your own running routines and how you over came them. 

Remember where ever you go there you are...

Melissa

2 comments:

  1. Melissa you are wonderful!!
    Thank you for your honesty, we all have our ups and downs. I know you will continue to do great things and ROCK OUT on all of your future races.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lindsay for all of your support! It means the world to me! With less than 4 races left I plan on finishing strong!! Here's looking at Labor Day 2012!

      Delete