Monday, October 10, 2011

Long Beach International City Bank Half Marathon

The second stop on the train to crazy town was the Long Beach International City Bank Half Marathon. Since I did not stay at a hotel, I woke up at 4:40 am and left my home at 5:00 am, yes I was a fireman in my past life I am the master of getting ready in a hurry. Luckily the ride to Long Beach went smoothly and I did not hit any traffic until I switched freeways and transferred onto the 710. Regardless of the 710 traffic, I arrived with plenty of time for the 7 am start time. I had enough time to purchase a banana and go to a real bathroom which to me is really important as I was raised in the school of no soft tissue no tushie.

Living in Los Angeles I oddly enough do not explore Long Beach enough so I did not know really what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised! This is really a picturesque community! This is an ideal place to run, weather and scenery were equally gorgeous.

The first couple of miles were less scenic than the rest of the course, typical running through the streets of Long Beach. Running over a variety of bridges and turns through downtown Long Beach, but as runners turned around the bend at mile 5 the most spectacular view of The Queen Mary. I now finally understand the allure and beauty of travelling on ships of such as The Queen Mary and the Titanic, yes I know that it sank, but I would have booked passage on either liner.

After passing The Queen Mary and the Long Beach fireboat we continued on to the boardwalk before heading to bike path on the beach. To me running on such paths as the on the beach are an ideal setting for running. Beach running is a total mind clearer, easily and without much thought all troubles and problems seem to dissipate with each crashing wave. Everything in my mind always becomes clear and suddenly manageable.

Running Long Beach International City Bank Half Marathon was a great experience and I would like to thank my friends, family, supports, those reading this post, and D.K., I am unsure if she would like to have her name posted, for supporting me and assisting me with race registration. Crossing the finish line is and always will fill me with a sense of accomplishment and pride. A sense of feeling strong and that I can handle the challenges and obstacles life throws my way.

2 comments:

  1. You go girl! And, I don't think you're crazy at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out my blog...he he...87 days to skinny! lol.

    ReplyDelete