Monday, February 20, 2012

Rock 'n' Roll Pasadena Half Marathon...Race Number 6 Race Recap


Yesterday I completed the Inaugural Rock 'n' Roll Pasadena Half Marathon which benefited CureMito!, an organization for mitochondrial disease.  Until recently I was unaware of this disease, a follower of 13 Going on Crazy contacted me regarding her 8 year old son, Kyle  who she lost due to this disease. I decided to dedicated today's race to Kyle. 

Seeing that this was the inaugural race I feel that there were a lot of kinks that need to be worked out for future races. I picked-up my bib on Saturday, took a peruse through the expo, which was fair, I still have not found an expo that topped The Disneyland and Tinkerbell Half Marathon Expo's. The Rock 'n' Roll Pasadena Expo was just okay. Maybe it is because Brooks Running is the main sponsor or maybe it is something else, it simply can't put my finger on it. At the RunDisney expo's, there is this amazing energy in the air that it is contagious. 

Sometimes you could be your own worst enemy, rather than patting yourself on the back and saying, "look at me I'm in another half marathon," you instead kick yourself and say, "look at you, remember when you used to run these?" Sunday I needed to be a walker, health issues have brought me down and truly impacted my training. I decided not to kick myself, but to be a walker and hold my head up high. Lucky for me if I was running, I would not have had the opportunity of sharing 9 memorable miles with my new friend, fellow runner, Hali. Was this course challenging? YES! Was this course way too hilly? YES!! Was this course spectator friendly? NO!!

So to coin the phrase, life is a journey, yesterday was a journey of acceptance and truly living and accepting that when life knocks you down, you need to brush yourself off and keep on going. You never know who is going to be on the other side of that hill, so you gotta keep on moving.  


Did you run this past weekend's Rock 'n' Roll Pasadena? What are your thoughts regarding this race?

No comments:

Post a Comment