Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Running in My Comfort Zone

I love running. Scratch that...I love the idea of being a runner. Kind of like missing an ex boyfriend do you miss him or the idea of him? I do not always enjoy the training portion of running, but the high that you feel after you run 5, 6 or even 13 miles is exhilarating. After that I feel as though I can take on the world and there are no fences holding me in. I mean seriously Nancy Regan lied. You can't just say no. Feeling the sun on my face, cool ocean breezes, and not a care in the world. Priceless. I simply can't resist not signing on for more half marathons. I am glutinous for punishment. I have ran in 5 half marathons. My first half marathon was the PF Chang Rock and Roll in Phoenix on January 26th 2006. Time unknown, heart rate unknown, this was BCX. AKA Before Garmin 405CX, before I needed to know every last detail about my run. Want to run at a specific pace? Done. Heart Rate? Done. Calories burned? Done. Intervals, with warm-up and cool-downs? Done, done, and done.

What might I be doing with all of this information one might ask? I am using it to move out of my comfort zone. After analyzing every race since BCX, I noticed that while I might be more and more capable of running further faster I don't. In order for me to break the 2 hour 30 minute mark I will need a consistent pace of 11 minutes and 27 seconds per mile. That means no walking through the water stations, because I don't want to spill and stain Gatorade on my cute new running singlet! Skip the Gatorade! Grab the water take a quick swig, throw the cup on the ground, sorry Walt, and go! Simply keep on running. I have 38 days to improve my time and shave off seconds from my current 12 minute 25 second per mile run. Can I do it? Did Muhammad go to the mountain or did the mountain come to him?

No comments:

Post a Comment