Monday, August 1, 2011

Lacking Motivation To Run

Monday I wanted to run. I spent the first part of my day applying for countless more jobs. Applying for jobs online is like sending your resume into the black hole. Now my apartment is from the 1940s, so it does not have the accoutrements of modern living. There is no air-conditioning, microwave, which I oddly do not miss, washer and dryer, etcetera. For reasons unknown to me even if it is not hot outside my apartment retains heat. As the heat and humidity seemed to rise with every passing moment I kept putting off my run due to feeling over heated. I would run later in the day I reasoned. When my mom came home I told her I wanted to run, if not now then later, but I wanted to run.

I wanted to run, but I didn't want to run. I need to remember that it is all a mind set. Mind over matter. I was hot and seriously lacking in motivation. I did not eat enough at dinner, to the point that I did not feel satisfied and more frustrated at myself for not running and it was already 7:00 at night.

So I took my own advice…

If you do not have the energy to run, but know you need to run you have only one option and it is simple… get dressed, lace up your running shoes, head out the door, and run 1/2 a mile. If at that point you want to turn around and run 1/2 a mile back home, then do it. At least you can log a mile for the day. Call it a day and tell yourself what Scarlet O’Hara always says ‘after all, tomorrow is another day.’

I'm betting at that 1/2 mile mark, you will find that you had more energy than you thought you had. The thought of throwing in the towel and going home after you already made the effort to get out the door, will keep you going.

3 miles later I was in high spirits. Yes I was sweaty and my stomach still hurt from not enough at dinner. A run is a run and every run I get to go on is a gift as I was blessed with 2 working legs. Even better than getting in my run is that I shaved 30 seconds off of my time and am that much closer to my goal of completing my half marathon in sub 2:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment